Discipleship Course 47
Sunday, January 30, 2022 Evening Service
Serving God through the Local Church
Why should a Christian become an active, serving member of a church?
A local church goes beyond two believers meeting together. It is an organization of believers pulling together for God’s glory. It includes a pastor and can include elders and deacons.
What is the Purpose of the Local Church?
- To provide for the believer strength, security, and comfort
- To stimulate growth
How does one find time to be active in the local church?
- Serve as a family
- Count on God to enable
Why do people not get involved?
- They view it as optional
- Hobbies, crafts, sports, entertainment takes precedence (idols)
- Narrow view of service
- Time and place oriented
- Needs to be a lifestyle
- Feel they don’t have anything to offer
At what point should a person take a step back? - Burnout happens. You need rest. - Sickness - Priority - Prayer - Conviction
How to motivate children to serve? - Example, modeling - this is the biggest - Children notice if you are different at home than you are at home - hypocrisy - Creative - make it fun - Joy in service
What is a Good Church Member?
- Drawing close to God
- Loving and love the brethren
- Forbearing - make allowances for others:
- In subjection to the words of God
- Give preference to others (Romans 12:10)
- Authority with humility
- Receive wise counsel