Discipleship Course 41
Sunday, December 12, 2021 Evening Service
False Teachings Involving the Holy Ghost
Tongues are in the Bible.
- Acts 10, Acts 2, Acts 19, and Mark 16 involve tongues as a miracle.
- 1 and 2 Corinthians involve tongues as a gift to the church.
Three heresies taught out of Acts 2 are:
- Baptismal regeneration - that water baptism is required for a person to be saved.
- Tongues is the initial evidence of the Holy Ghost.
- Speaking in tongues is the second act of grace for the child of God.
Occurrences of Tongues in the Bible
Acts 2:1-11 involves real, earthly languages that people in the crowd spoke. Different people in the crowd heard what he said in their own language.
Acts 10:40-48 was a sign to the Jews that God would save Gentiles just the same as a Jew. These Gentiles were speaking earthly languages that they could not previously speak.
Acts 19:1-7 involves followers of John the Baptist who had not believed on Jesus, they had only repented of their sins and vowed to accept the Messiah when He came. Paul preaches Jesus to them, and they take Him. Tongues here is a sign to these Jewish disciples that Jesus was indeed their Messiah.
Mark 16:9-16 involved signs to unbelieving Jews to whom these apostles would be preaching.
Note: When they happen, tongues are always a sign for unbelieving Jews in the vicinity.