Discipleship Course 20
Sunday, June 27, 2021 Evening Service
The model prayer for disciples
The model that Jesus gave to the disciples (the Disciples’ Prayer, not the Lord’s Prayer) - Luke 11:2-4
- Recognize the sovereignty of God (vs 2)
- Recognize the work of God (vs 2)
- Recognize your needs (vss 3, 4)
- It changes us.
How does prayer work?
- Prayer works on our desires.
- Matthew 6:33
- Hebrews 13:5
- Philippians 4:11-19
- Prayer works on our thoughts.
- 2 Corinthians 10:5
- Prayer works on our understanding.
- Daniel 9:17-23
- Prayer works on our actions.
Prayer changes circumstances
Genesis 18:14, Habakkuk 1:14-16
- Peter freed from prison - Acts 12:5
- Cornelius and Peter brought together - Acts 10:30
- Natural laws suspended
- The sun went backward 10 degrees - 2 Kings 20:5-12
- The sun stopped for a battle - Joshua 10:12-14
- The sick are healed
- Devils obey - Matthew 17:19-21
Can prayer change God’s mind?
Jonah 3:9-10, Exodus 32:10-14
What does it mean for God to repent? These verses show that God works within the free will of men. His ultimate plan and purpose are unchangeable.
When should you pray?
- In the morning
- In the evening
- Always, without ceasing
- Instantly - like Nehemiah 2:4
- In time of need - Hebrews 4:16
Always be in a place where you can pray. Never be in a place where you cannot pray.
- Psalms 86:3
- Psalms 5:3
- Psalms 55:17
- 1 Thessalonians 5:17
Where should you pray?
- Everywhere - Always be in a position to pray. 1 Timothy 2:8
- In groups - Acts 12:5-12
- In secret - Matthew 6:6
Will God hear your prayer?
- He will if you are saved.
- He will if you exercise faith.
- Sincere - Matthew 6:5
- Not hypocritical
- Importunity - Luke 18:1-6, Luke 11:1-13
- Perseverance - Matthew 26:40-41
- Fervent - James 5:16
- Fasting - Matthew 17:21, 1 Corinthians 7:5
- He will if you obey His commandments. 1 John 3:22
- He will if you ask according to His will - 1 John 5:14
- He will if you are willing to forsake your sins - James 4:3
- He will if you are in harmony with your spouse - 1 Peter 3:7
- He will if you ask in Jesus’ name - John 5:16, John 14:13, 1 Timothy 2:5
The Holy Spirit translates, knowing our heart - Romans 8:26
Will God answer your prayer?
After you pray, look and listen for God’s answer. When you pray, be willing to accept to what God says.
- Sometimes immediately - Daniel 9:19-23
- Sometimes He says “wait”
- Sometimes He says “no”
- Sometimes He says “yes,” but differently than you expected
What happens if you don’t pray?
- You are disobedient
- You suffer loss
- Of power
- Of victory
- Of testimony
- Of fellowship
2 Corinthians 10:4